Author Topic: Remasters  (Read 5116 times)

Heartlander

Remasters
« on: September 03, 2006, 07:26:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, and after a superficial search on this forum, I came to the conclusion that the subject has not been covered yet :  it is hard to believe though, so sorry in advance, and feel free to redirect me elsewhere for more info if available (and pardon my english...)

Major and minor artists' catalogue get the remastering/expanded edition treatment, and I'd like to know what's currently in the pipes for U2.
My (unfounded?) fear is that the band &/or management considers the "Complete U2 box set" the definitive release, and that there is no CD reissue plan (be it single cds or cd box set) in the near future.

Many thanks in advance,

Heartlander

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:52:51 PM »
U2 have stated in the past that they will release a comprehensive boxset at the end of their career, which is hopefully still a few albums away.  I don't think the band consider "The Complete U2" the last word; there is still plenty of unreleased material.

As far as album remasters, Amazon listed SACD releases of several catalog titles a couple years ago.  There was never any official statement on this, and I assume that if there was ever anything to these releases, they've long since been shelved.

The only album remasters in existence are the MFSL releases of War, The Unforgettable Fire, and The Joshua Tree; which are long out of print.

I believe that the tracks on the two "Best Of" compilations were remastered as well.

Heartlander

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 12:28:57 PM »
Thanks Brad,

Remastering "Best Of" compilations is usually the start of something : I keep my fingers crossed

By the way did The Complete U2 have better soundthan the current cds?

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
Nothing has been remastered on The Complete U2 as far as I can tell.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 11:36:24 PM »
Well the tracks that were vinyl only in the past were at least transferred from the masters into a cleaner medium (unless you have a great player and an unplayed record I suppose).

beanface

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:41:06 PM »
If U2 ever do reissue their albums, they should do them in the deluxe edition style, ie - Bob Marley, Cream.  I would love to see all the b-sides, outtakes and non-album tracks from the time period be packaged with the corresponding albums.

Heartlander

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 12:51:58 PM »
Beanface,

This would be the most satisfying way of reissuing the catalog indeed.