Author Topic: discogs entry: Magnificent  (Read 6019 times)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
discogs entry: Magnificent
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »
Not like there aren't any bigger discography updates, but I just noticed there's no mention of Magnificent (Richard Vission Mix) from the Masterbeat.com single. Also, because of this omission it's sometimes referred to as Magnificent (13-track) when it's really 14 tracks.

On a slightly related topic, I was surprised when Masterbeat had an exclusive remix of Magnificent, but I'm even more surprised that it only has two remixes of Crazy Tonight. I wonder if people complained so much about the new Magnificent mixes being discovered every day that they decided to tone it down this time. Or maybe they're saving everything else that's been created  for the new fanclub release.

God, Part II

Re: discogs entry: Magnificent
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
This new Remix Artists Collective remix is really a beautiful piece of work.  What a nice Christmas gift to wake up to (although trying to find a way to convert a FLAC or ALAC file to WAV is bringing the Grinch out in me)!

slaneman

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »
This new Remix Artists Collective remix is really a beautiful piece of work.  What a nice Christmas gift to wake up to (although trying to find a way to convert a FLAC or ALAC file to WAV is bringing the Grinch out in me)!

Yep, I also think it's very well done. It doesn't slam your head against the wall. I like the subtle flute sounds. Very artful remix.
It's only the second remix based on the "your white soul" vocals. Dave Aude was the other one. This one has a different melody so I'm wondering if Bono actually sang a different melody or it was altered by the remixer. Curious.

God, Part II

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »
This one has a different melody so I'm wondering if Bono actually sang a different melody or it was altered by the remixer. Curious.

Sounds like a completely different vocal take to my ears...

Krys

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
I read on Twitter that was used "melodyne" software to change the vocals.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
Interesting. Similar to Auto-Tune according to this article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/articles/at5vsmelodyne.htm

slaneman

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 09:24:55 PM by slaneman »

u2expert

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
...although trying to find a way to convert a FLAC or ALAC file to WAV is bringing the Grinch out in me)!
One of the best FLAC to WAV converters: http://flac.sourceforge.net

Cheers,
u2expert

morgan1098

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »

Yep, I also think it's very well done. It doesn't slam your head against the wall. I like the subtle flute sounds. Very artful remix.
It's only the second remix based on the "your white soul" vocals. Dave Aude was the other one. This one has a different melody so I'm wondering if Bono actually sang a different melody or it was altered by the remixer. Curious.

I'm really loving the RAC mix of Magnificent.  It's probably my favorite of all of the remixes that have come from the NLOTH album.  I am astonished that they used software (melodyne?) to alter the melody of Bono's vocals that way.  It honestly sounds like a completely different vocal take.