Author Topic: Review of NLOTH from u2.tour.de  (Read 5378 times)

slaneman

Review of NLOTH from u2.tour.de
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:13:34 PM »
Thanks to babacar of U2tour.de and TheLarryMullenband forum who posted the following translation on TLMB earlier today. The original review is in German by Bjorn of U2tour.de who was given the opportunity to do a pre-listen to the new album.

babacar says--
For those of you who speak german, there's a review of the album from one of the U2tour.de admins.
http://u2tour.de/news/article3806.html 

For those who don't, here's my rough translation:

No Line On The Horizon
The opening track is a clear statement- this record is different. Roaring guitar sounds, a jaring bass. Bono shouts, his voice scratches and only later becomes more melodic. The chorus comes surprising and is carried by Edge's voice. The middle part is slower and classical U2 before the track paces up again. The guitar in the ends sound like Lady with the Spinning Head.
An atmospheric dark song that leads U2 in a new sound world and that leads the way for the album: More rock, more atmospheric sounds and more varied singing.

Magnificient
Magnificient starts with loud Drums, Loops and Riffs that hunt each other before Edge's classical Guitar comes in. First word is the title. A very melodic song, maybe on of the best on the album. But also one that would have fit on the early albums or even on Achtung. A great finish ends the track we know as beach clip 4.

Moment of Surrender
One of the slowest songs. Slow dropping beats with a Fez influence start the track. Strings and Keyboards start before Bono joins in with a "broken" voice. Parts sound like the Passengers before Edge supports Bono during the chorus with his falsetto. A dark, multi-layered song with an impressive guitar solo – and an ‚Oh-Oh-Oh’-Chorus.

Unknown Caller
Birds,atmospheric noise and Keyboards lead in Unknown Caller. The song is marked by exciting breaks in the sound structure. Nearly completely sung in two voices, the chorus is "Restart und reboot yourself" and brings a key moment that describes the album: "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning". Another great guitar solo, dabbling Keyboards... "Escape yourself and gravity". known as beach clip 1.

I'll go crazy if I don`t go crazy tonight
One of the shortest tracks. Carried by Larry's drums and melodic guitars. The atmosphere partly recalls "Sometimes you can`t make it on your own", while the end clearly sounds like "Ultraviolet". The lyrics are very politicalt: "There`s a part of me that wants to riot" - "Every generation get's a chance to change the world". Possible single.

Boots
We know that one.

Stand up comedy
No track shows better the influence of Jack White and Jimi Page. Stand Up Comedy seems to come directly from the 70s and could be on the soundtrack of "Across The Universe". A rocking track and another possible single. Edge is on fire.

Fez – being born
First minute consists of electronic sounds only - a phone ringing, a "Boots" sample - then the song starts. Classical Edge guitar and Keyboards start before Bono comes in - bumpy, then more melodic. Partly the band sounds as raw and fresh as in the early 80s. The middle part reminds of Depeche Mode's classical synth sounds but the guitar is still leading the way. Vocals are rather rare on this track.

White as snow
A quiet, short song that is the beginning of the end of the album. Starts with atmospheric noise, before an accoustic guitar joins. One would expect Johnny Cashs voice.... The song is about remission and how your own brother can become a stranger. Musically it's in the line of "Spring Hill Mining Disaster".

Breathe
Heavy roaring drums kick off the track, Bono sings fast and murmurous. Chorus sounds like a U2 classic. The bridge has Edge chopping down shy strings and has reminiscences to "Until the end of the world". Known as beach clip 2.

Cedars of Lebanon
Dark Keyboards, supported by a minimalistic guitar. Bono rather speaks than he sings and is all over the place on the track, that has rudiments of "If you wear that velvet dress". Bono takes the perspective of a war correspondent in Lebanon. "Return the call to home" sounds like a fare away noise vocally carried by Edge.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
Re: Review of NLOTH from u2.tour.de
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »
heh i google translated it earlier - have to say i'm feeling better than i was after hearing boots. :)

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
I wouldn't say I felt bad after Boots. It's just not the "brand new" sound they've been hyping up. Based on that review, it sounds to me like this will be to HTDAAB what Zooropa was to Achtung.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
Yeah, I didn't feel "bad" but I was hoping for more of a shift from the last two albums - though I suppose U2 has to go through their "3 album cycle" phases eh..?

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »
I bet they deliberately started with a single that resembled How to Dismantle in order to ease people into the new sound. I'm still looking forward to this album.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »
30 second clips of the album from walmart online (heh).

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:28:33 PM »
30 second clips of the album from walmart online (heh).

:.: Hi Carl...no longer exists...or can be heard!!  :-\

About the review, once again I hear the statement that : "The Edge Is On Fire"

I recall a comment from Matt (McGee), in an @U2 news that last 2 albums Bono has said so...and "no mention of Edge's on fire" this time  ;D

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 06:05:49 PM »
well since the clips were available online from a legal source, it should be legit to just post an mp3 of the clips.  :P

here it is