Poll

What is your main reason for using the u2w discography?

To find out the tracklisting for releases.
Browse different cover/packaging, idle curiousity.
To help plan collecting international releases regardless of tracklisting.
Other (please comment in this thread).

Author Topic: What is your main reason for using the u2w discography?  (Read 7948 times)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
What is your main reason for using the u2w discography?
« on: November 17, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »
We're gathering information for a re-design of the site.

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
Re: What is your main reason for using the u2w discography?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:37:34 PM »
I suppose I could've clicked "Other" and clarified "All of the Above."

God, Part II

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
Tracklistings for me, which allow me to ensure I have every track, as well as any and all unique versions of same (live, remixed, demo, et al)...

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:48:19 PM »
@zoo - "main reason" would imply one, not all. it's not what reasons.  we're curious on focus (though i imagine those that register on the forum are more "hardcore" and collectory.

jw

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »
Hmm.  I voted the "international" option because the majority of singles come from overseas to me.  But I realize now that "other/all of the above" would have been a better answer.  My goal is not singles from every country, but every distinct cover and every distinct track.  So I look for pictures of the covers and tracklistings. 

Z000

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:36:24 PM »
Tracklistings for me, which allow me to ensure I have every track, as well as any and all unique versions of same (live, remixed, demo, et al)...

Hmm.  I voted the "international" option because the majority of singles come from overseas to me.  But I realize now that "other/all of the above" would have been a better answer.  My goal is not singles from every country, but every distinct cover and every distinct track.  So I look for pictures of the covers and tracklistings.

These both are more what I was thinking: all three choices overlap. I check out track listings so I know which items I need for my collection. I also browse through the directory idly in search of tracks I didn't know about before (though mainly it was one time that I went through the whole By Song list and took notes of which songs I didn't already know about). I figured the collector option in the poll must be my best choice because it's the end goal of the others, but other people are picking the other options with the same thinking behind it.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:49:03 PM »
Yeah, all these do overlap to a certain extent.  It's a "squishy" question meant to give more of a feedback on the mindset of people... I highly doubt anyone would only have one of the reasons to visit the site.

Would it make sense to condense things and just list tracklistings for different pressings and where those tracklistings are found, or do people actually care for upc/matrix/etc info on every single issued in every country.  e.g. is it about the songs, or the art/physical object. there are different ways to approach and display this information.

God, Part II

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:45:05 AM »
Personally, the matrix info for every release is less important than being able to locate appearances of unique tracks, but it is still helpful for at least helping to ensure you haven't unwittingly come across a fake/boot.

morgan1098

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »
I voted for packaging  but really it would be "all of the above."

George

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 02:48:24 AM »
I use it to find any unique tracks (live, remixes, etc) that I'm missing.

I would most like to see the alphabetical listing divided into full band tracks and those where only Larry drums or Bono sings and such.

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
I suppose I could have worded the third option "To help plan collecting international releases with non-unqie tracklisting" or something.

miryclay

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
Just to browse and see what is released. Track songs etc...

Z000

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
Would it make sense to condense things and just list tracklistings for different pressings and where those tracklistings are found, or do people actually care for upc/matrix/etc info on every single issued in every country.  e.g. is it about the songs, or the art/physical object. there are different ways to approach and display this information.

I don't care about matrix info, but the UPC codes and catalog numbers are helpful for identifying the releases I'm looking for online.

And thanks for re-wording the poll options, now I know I'm picking the one closest to what I mean.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:27:14 PM by Z000 »

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 01:13:30 AM »
No problem, anyone that was confused by wording before (which is totally understandable, I wrote these up quickly at work) can edit their votes. :)

santiago2u

• starchitect...then, father!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:28 AM »
::: Practically  I've visiting the  Wanderer site since 1999-2000, and was re-directed for the first time from @U2.  Both sites are my main source of info about U2 news and releases.

On my own, I've sent scanned material (specially MEX releases) for  6 years or more (including that infamous R&H MEX cd scans you see up in the site and 'The Fly' MEX 5"cd  single; 'Versiones Acusticas colombian Promo: that's my very own cd also,  among others).

And my U2 mp3 ID tags come with sleeve pictures that i took from Wanderer...my credit as a contribuitor on earlier versions of the Site appeared as Familia Arambula (since my younger brother and me mantain the U2 collection)

A lot of material on discography is missing, and a lot of those are common releases, but I'm aware you guys have another jobs, beside keepin this great site  alive.

I'll try to start scan again material to be up there, completing the Wanderer discography...as soon as I get a new scanner!!   ???