Author Topic: russell mills undark + brooklyn bridge ep  (Read 4266 times)

Trevor

russell mills undark + brooklyn bridge ep
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:59:29 AM »
hi,
I have 2 question:
1. I have the first pressing of undark but the booklet is not very clear in which track edge plays... all? or is edge involved on stone's eggs only? I have found this back cover of the 2nd pressing and it seems that edge appears on that track only

2. in these days only I discovered the upgrading option to itunes plus (thanks to this forum) and I downloaded all the tracks from the complete u2 from itunes IT... unfortunately there is no trace of the brooklyn bridge ep (and other tracks like don't give up or sgt pepper...) I purchased on itunes US. are they no more available or there isn't the upgrade option for these tracks?

thanks ;)

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
Re: russell mills undark + brooklyn bridge ep
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
The Brooklyn Bridge EP and Sgt. Pepper were removed from the store and were never offered in iTunes Plus AFAIK.

The best quality I have been able to find for Sgt. Pepper is 192 kbps WMA, unfortunately still with DRM.

http://www.7digital.com/stores/war/productDetail.aspx?pid=13534&sid=107936&tid=141058.

I don't believe the Brooklyn Bridge tracks have ever been available outside of iTunes.

Z000

• And I have no reasons, no reasons to get back
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »
Don't Give Up is also basically extinct, though eBay occasionally has alleged Japanese cd singles of it. They look pretty bootleg, but I've confronted the sellers about it and all anyone says in response is "I don't know what you're talking about, I got it from Japan."

Trevor

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:36:07 AM »
so the complete u2 only is upgradable... and what about the undark project?

God, Part II

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:11:11 AM »
I think you're (understandably) misreading a poorly designed insert.  I don't think it's meant to imply that "Stone's Egg" is Edge's only contribution (though it very well may be; it's the only one where you can clearly identify Edge stylings).  I think the artist list is simply a right-hand column that, to make things aesthetically interesting, has been weaved through the left-hand column of songs, but that there is no real correspondence between where a song is listed and any artist listed above or below it.  For instance, Edge is listed below "Stone's Egg"; so if that placement indicates that's the single track he's involved with, what do we make of Michael Brook, who's listed above all songs?  Or Kevin Shields and David Silvian?  Are they both involved with the track "Her 200 Bones" or are there just more artists to list than tracks?  I think it likely that all of these artists contribute throughout these tracks in a very random fashion, so we'll likely never have definitive proof of the extent of Edge's contribution unless he or Russell Mills is interviewed about it...

By the way, assuming you are talking about the LIVE 8 performance of "Sgt. Pepper's" with Paul McCartney, if you buy the DVD and have a DVD-ROM, you can make a very nice, high-quality audio rip like I did...

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 04:41:19 PM »
Sylvian contributes vocals to "how safe is deep" - that's his only contribution as far as I know though he does do instrumental work as well so there may be bits of that on there.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:39:07 AM »
So has anyone heard the version of Stone's Eggs on DJ Spooky's Modern Mantra? Just wondering whether it's a different mix.