Communication > Off-Topic Banter

Introductions?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Ugo1970:
1) Who am I:
My name's Ugo Coppola. I was born on December 21, 1970, I'm Italian and I teach English in a secondary school to 24 very nice kids. :-)

2) Why I registered:
Because I don't like to simply pass through forums, lurking and occasionally posting replies. When I enter a forum (and this is just one of the many forums I'm registered to...) I like to be fully active in it. And if this implies registering, I just couldn't ask for anything better. :-)

3) Why I post here:
I don't think I can be defined an U2 fan. I listen to them just as much as I listen to a jillion other people and a jillion other kinds of music. But I'm very keen on lyrics. Being Italian, I usually get most of 'em but not all, so fansites (especially well-kept ones, like this), are often a great help. And I try to do my best to repay them for their help, by posting in the forums - especially, of course, in the sections concerning lyrics. :-)

[Modificato il 2004-12-6 da Ugo1970]

canuck:
1. Who am I?
Dave and am from Canada. I completed uni with a major in history. I am 28 and have been a U2 fan for 18 years. (might not last much longer).

2. Why I registered? (so late)
I am a memeber of another forum and this site was mention because someone thought (U2 PM) it would be a good idea to shut down fan sites because of lyrics etc.... I will continue to visit your site as I have only just started to go through it all.

3. Why I Post here:
I wanted to show my support for those who put in a lot of their own time and money into creating these sites for us to enjoy.

Thank you and I hope everything works out for you.
Until the next time,

Canuck

jimbo913:
Hello all, my name is James.  I am a long time U2 fan, but a new U2 fanatic.  I have collecting in my blood and never realized before how collectable U2 can be.  So much stuff.  So little money to spend on it all.

Anyway, my first experience with U2 was back in late 87.  My cousin let me borrow his JT record.  I was 12 at the time, and I remember playing the record on my Fisher Price turntable.  I sat there trying to figure out the words.  I just remember becoming hooked.  I never wanted to give him the record back, but eventually I had to.  I purchased the casette tape soon after.  If you were to ask me what I was listening to at that age, I would have just said JT... nothing else (well maybe a bit of UABRS, my second purchase).  I must have listened to that tape a million times over and over, beginning to end.  I never listened to it without listening to the whole thing.  I never just played one song, it was all or nothing.  It breaks my heart to think about it, but as time has gone by, I no longer have that tape, although I bet if I ever found my old walkman, it would be in there... it never left it.  By my freshman year, I purchased JT on CD.  AB came out my junior year of high school and I tried like mad to get tickets to a show (in Lexington, KY where I lived), but to no avail.

To be completely honest, U2 lost me during the 90s.  I continued to listen to JT fairly often, but the "newer" stuff never really captured my attention.  Ocasionally I would listen to Rattle and Hum, The Unforgettable Fire, or War.  But that was it.  I didn't buy Zooropa or Pop when they came out.  By the time ATYCLB came out, I was dating my (then) future wife.  She had purchased ATYCLB and I gave it a listen.  I thought it was pretty good, but nothing more.

Then one day last summer, I pulled out JT (which I hadn't listened to for at least 6 years) and went for a drive.  What can I say?  I fell in love with the album all over again.  On my way home from the drive I decided to stop at a Circuit City and buy the RaH DVD.  I really enjoyed the movie, and could feel myself becoming more of a fan.  Soon after I purchased Live at Slane Castle.  That did it for me, and made me an official fanatic.  Since then, I have gone back and bought all the U2 stuff I can get my hands on (CD singles, all their CD albums, vinyl albums and singles, VHS cassettes, DVDs, etc.).  I have yet to see a U2 show, but I eagerly await one this time round.  Nothing is going to stop me this time.

Butter7:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by jimbo913
Hello all, my name is James.  I am a long time U2 fan, but a new U2 fanatic.  I have collecting in my blood and never realized before how collectable U2 can be.  So much stuff.  So little money to spend on it all.

Anyway, my first experience with U2 was back in late 87.  My cousin let me borrow his JT record.  I was 12 at the time, and I remember playing the record on my Fisher Price turntable.  I sat there trying to figure out the words.  I just remember becoming hooked.  I never wanted to give him the record back, but eventually I had to.  I purchased the casette tape soon after.  If you were to ask me what I was listening to at that age, I would have just said JT... nothing else (well maybe a bit of UABRS, my second purchase).  I must have listened to that tape a million times over and over, beginning to end.  I never listened to it without listening to the whole thing.  I never just played one song, it was all or nothing.  It breaks my heart to think about it, but as time has gone by, I no longer have that tape, although I bet if I ever found my old walkman, it would be in there... it never left it.  By my freshman year, I purchased JT on CD.  AB came out my junior year of high school and I tried like mad to get tickets to a show (in Lexington, KY where I lived), but to no avail.

To be completely honest, U2 lost me during the 90s.  I continued to listen to JT fairly often, but the "newer" stuff never really captured my attention.  Ocasionally I would listen to Rattle and Hum, The Unforgettable Fire, or War.  But that was it.  I didn't buy Zooropa or Pop when they came out.  By the time ATYCLB came out, I was dating my (then) future wife.  She had purchased ATYCLB and I gave it a listen.  I thought it was pretty good, but nothing more.

Then one day last summer, I pulled out JT (which I hadn't listened to for at least 6 years) and went for a drive.  What can I say?  I fell in love with the album all over again.  On my way home from the drive I decided to stop at a Circuit City and buy the RaH DVD.  I really enjoyed the movie, and could feel myself becoming more of a fan.  Soon after I purchased Live at Slane Castle.  That did it for me, and made me an official fanatic.  Since then, I have gone back and bought all the U2 stuff I can get my hands on (CD singles, all their CD albums, vinyl albums and singles, VHS cassettes, DVDs, etc.).  I have yet to see a U2 show, but I eagerly await one this time round.  Nothing is going to stop me this time.
--- End quote ---

Wow...what a long journey...welcome home. :D

Carl:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Butter7

Wow...what a long journey...welcome home. :D
--- End quote ---

Home... that's where the hurt is ;)

A good story, it's always interesting to see what really draws people into the band.  For me it was the Best of 80-90 driving me to check out some live mp3s online... SBS from R&H, One from Modena, Ultraviolet from ZooTV Washington DC, and Exit from Joshua Tree in Flames boot.  Each song was so different from the studio versions I was just blown away.  My interest in how songs change live (a big reason why I decided to get into the lyrics transcription thing) began then, and it has been a wonderful musical journey.

@Canuck - nice to see you here, thanks for the support.  I hope their aren't any hard feelings about me being the one that put an end to the 100% Canadian blurb this site used to sport.

@Butter - what is HRM?  Harmful Robot Monkeys? Healthy rat milkshakes?? And what were your 3 previous majors?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version