Author Topic: ZOMG i neve knew this  (Read 3285 times)

darrenvox

• "And if you look, you look through me"
ZOMG i neve knew this
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
so ive been going through and listening to the zooropa album after (again) watching zootv live from sydney, AUS. i decided it was the day in age to look up what the song and the album meant and stuff...

when i looked at the cover of the cd, it was just a siple stars and the little baby thing but now when i look at it its subliminal because now i know this (taken from wiki)

"The sleeve was designed by Works Associates of Dublin under the direction of Steve Averill,[31] who had created the majority of U2's album covers. The cover features a sketch of the circle of stars from the Flag of Europe with a "sad cosmonaut" drawing in the center.[46] The illustration, created by Shaughn McGrath,[31] was an alteration of the "graffiti babyface" by Charlie Whisker that was originally taken from the face of the Achtung Baby compact disc/vinyl record.[46][47] The cover's drawing was meant to represent the Soviet cosmonaut left floating in orbit for weeks after the collapse of the Soviet Union.[48] In the background is a 3-by-3 montage of blurred images—similar to the 4-by-4 arrangement of images on Achtung Baby's sleeve. The images include shots of a woman's face and mouth, as well as photographs of European leaders, including Vladimir Lenin, Benito Mussolini, and Nicolae Ceauşescu.[49] These images are obscured by distorted purple text, which comprises the names of unfinished songs from the album sessions, including "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me", "Wake Up Dead Man", and "If You Wear That Velvet Dress". Author Višnja Cogan described this text as giving the impression of a "torn veil".

Zooropa was named for the "Zooropa" leg of the Zoo TV Tour, which began in May 1993 while the band completed the record. The name is a portmanteau of "zoo" (from Zoo TV Tour and "Zoo Station") and "Europa". One of the album's proposed titles was Squeaky"

Now if my bold and underline are put in the right place that means they were working on pop related album activiies way before their songs time. As this may not be new to alot of you (i have no idea) its new to me....all i look at is the stars and the space kid thing. Ill never look at this album  the way i did ever again!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/20/Zooropa_album.jpg/220px-Zooropa_album.jpg

isn that cool??

dagobah

• exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: ZOMG i neve knew this
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Extremely interesting.  I didn't know most of the info above.  I've read very few of the Wikipedia pages for U2 albums so the post above is the highlight of my day so far.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
http://www.atu2.com/news/column-off-the-record----vol-11-472.html

Funny enough I mentioned it in my July 24 OTR column over at atu2.com - i've known those have been there for a while...

darrenvox

• "And if you look, you look through me"
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
ah i never noticed that...coo to know too

miryclay

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »
I think U2 are at the point for some time (since the 1990s) were they just write and record songs and then put them into piles.

Soundtracks, vibes, anthems, rockers. And then they use them accordingly. The 90s period is a wash for many reasons.