Author Topic: operating theatre with bono 7"  (Read 11066 times)

Trevor

operating theatre with bono 7"
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:15:51 AM »
I have found this 1986 7" release by mother records:
operating theatre - queen of no heart
sida a: queen of no heart
side b: spring is coming with a strawberry in the mouth

it was included on the 2007 2cd the early years by operating theatre and on this new release bono is credited as producer of the 2 tracks above and he plays guitar on queen of no heart:
http://www.rogerdoyle.com/operatingtheatre_earlyyears.php

anyone know something about it?

Scarlet

Re: operating theatre with bono 7"
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:29:19 AM »
I have found this 1986 7" release by mother records:
operating theatre - queen of no heart
sida a: queen of no heart
side b: spring is coming with a strawberry in the mouth

it was included on the 2007 2cd the early years by operating theatre and on this new release bono is credited as producer of the 2 tracks above and he plays guitar on queen of no heart:

anyone know something about it?

More information check here

http://irishrock.org/ipnw/bands/operatingtheatre.html

OPERATING THEATRE – THE EARLY YEARS (Bono : guitar on ‘Queen Of No Heart' and production on ‘Spring Is Coming…', ‘Queen Of No Heart'.)

This collection has been released to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the founding, by composer Roger Doyle and performer Olwen Fouere, of the music-theatre company Operating Theatre. Operating Theatre has been active in two phases: the first from 1981 to 1988, and the second from 1998 to the present. This double CD celebrates the first phase, during which the company operated as both a theatre company, integrating music as an equal partner in the theatrical environment, and as a band releasing records. Roles were flexible within the company in that Fouere also sang and Doyle also acted. In phase two there has been no band, and the texts (if any) have been ‘found', devised and/or drawn together from various strands, instead of being commissioned from writers as in phase one. Performances have taken place in both conventional and non-theatrical environments (e.g. an abandoned warehouse, a glass room in a hotel), and music has become more integrated. The first appearance by Operating Theatre (the band) was in the summer of 1981 with the release on CBS Records (Ireland) of the single ‘Austrian' , with ‘Positive Disintegration' on the B-side. A second single ‘Blue Light And Alpha Waves' followed a year later, with ‘Rampwalk' as the `B-side. "Fingerdance Waltz/Hymn' contains two developed extracts from the music for ‘ Ignotum per Ignotius' , a fifty minute piece of music-theatre performed by Doyle and Fouere, written and directed by visual artist James Coleman, which Operating Theatre went on a tour of Holland with in 1982. ‘No Come', ‘Syllable', ‘Dragon Path', ‘The Confectioners' and ‘Miss Mauger' were included on the LP ‘Miss Mauger' by Operating Theatre released in 1983 on the Kabuki label in London. ‘Sir Geoffrey' , ‘Satanasa' and ‘Clubmusic/Amene-Moi' are from the Operating Theatre production of ‘The Diamond Body' , written by Aidan Mathews, a seventy five minute solo performance by Fouere, which opened in the Project Arts Centre in Dublin in 1984 and toured to London, Glasgow, New Jersey, Avignon and Caracas up until 1988. Also in 1984 the company mounted a production of the Lorca play ‘The Love Of Don Perlimplin And Belisa In The Garden' , turning it into an ‘electronic chamber opera of sorts'. This time Fouere directed and Doyle and Elena Lopez played the title roles. A fifty six minute suite of Doyle's music from this production, developed as a music-only experience, was released in 2000 as part of a double CD called ‘Fairlight Memories' (further details on www.rogerdoyle.com ). Three tracks are included here: ‘Ah Love, Ah Love', ‘Belisa In The Garden' and ‘Don Perlimplin Has No Honour'. In October 1983 Olwen and Roger were asked to perform new material for an Irish TV arts show and to demonstrate the latest in music technology - the Fairlight Computer Music Instrument. ‘Part Of My Make-up' is the song they wrote for that occasion. ‘The Tractor' comes from 1984, from days of intense Operating Theatre activity, but was never used for anything in the end. It gets its first outing here. [SIZE="4"]‘Queen Of No Heart' and ‘Spring Is Coming With A Strawberry In The Mouth' were the result of an initial collaboration between singer/lyricist Elena Lopez and Roger Doyle and were released by Mother Records, the label set up by U2, as a single by Operating Theatre in 1986,[/SIZE] with Lopez on main vocals and drummer Sean Devitt joining the band for this recording. Fouere was asked to play the title role in the Gate Theatre's production of Oscar Wilde's ‘Salome', directed by Steven Berkoff in 1988, and Doyle was asked to compose the music – a two hour on-stage live piano score. ‘Before She Was Asked To Dance' is an early version of what was to become ‘Salome's Dance'. This track has a farewell feeling to it. The first phase of the company's activity had come to an end. ‘Johnny's Body At 002' is a work made in preparation for the first Operating Theatre production in phase two, ‘Angel/Babel' (1999) . CREDITS: Roger Doyle : keyboards on all tracks (variously: Fairlight Computer Music Instrument, piano, synthesizers, harmonium, electric grand); drums on the CBS singles; vocals on ‘ Sir Geoffrey' and ‘Don Perlimplin Has No Honour' . Production on all tracks except where mentioned. Remastering of all tracks. Olwen Fouere : lyrics and vocals on ‘Amene-Moi', ‘Part Of My Make-Up', ‘Austrian', ‘Rampwalk' and ‘Johnny's Body At 002'; vocals on ‘ Blue Light And Alpha Waves'; backing vocals on ‘Spring Is Coming…' and ‘Queen Of No Heart'. Elena Lopez : lyrics and vocals on ‘Spring Is Coming…', ‘Queen Of No Heart' ; vocals on ‘Ah Love, Ah love'; distant voice on ‘Belisa In The Garden'; Tom Mathews : film director on 'Austrian' and ‘Positive Disintegration'; lyrics for 'Sir Geoffrey' and ‘Blue Light And Alpha Waves' . Sean Devitt : drums on 'Fingerdance Waltz', ‘Spring Is Coming…' and ‘Queen Of No Heart' . Liam Stack : trombone on ‘Austrian' and ‘Blue Light And Alpha Waves'. Jolyon Jackson : bass guitar on ‘Rampwalk' and production on the CBS singles..
[SIZE="5"]Bono : guitar on ‘Queen Of No Heart' and production on ‘Spring Is Coming…', ‘Queen Of No Heart'. With thanks to Principle Management[/SIZE].  Track listing: OT 1 - 1. Sir Geoffrey 2. Positive Disintegration 3. Part of My Make-up 4. Fingerdance Waltz/Hymn 5. Rampwalk 6. Satanasa 7. Ah Love, ah love 8. Clubmusic/Amene-moi 9. No come 10.Austrian 11.Dragon path 12.The Confectioners 13.Miss Mauger OT 2 1. Blue Light And Alpha Waves 2. Belisa In The Garden 3. Don Perlimplin Has No Honour 4. The Tractor 5. Queen Of No Heart 6. Syllable 7. Spring Is Coming With A Strawberry In The Mouth  8. Before She Was Asked To Dance 9. Johnny's Body at 002 - part 1 10.Johnny's Body at 002 - part 2 All music composed by Roger Doyle p and © PRS 1980 – 1986 and 1999 (except ‘Sir Geoffrey' ( Roger Doyle/John Doyle – no relation). ‘Amene-Moi', ‘Part Of My Make-Up', ‘Austrian', ‘Rampwalk' and ‘Johnny's Body At 002' ( Doyle/Fouere ).  ‘Sir Geoffrey' and ‘Blue Light And Alpha Waves' . ( Doyle/Mathews ). 'Spring Is Coming…', ‘Queen Of No Heart' ( Doyle/Lopez ). ‘Ah Love, Ah Love' ( Doyle/Lorca).

I have a rip from the 12" single  :o

God, Part II

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:50:28 AM »
I tried to place an order for it but the shipping is a flat rate and it's in Euros which makes me wonder if shipping it to me in the U.S. is allowed...anyone know?

Trevor

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:37 AM »

God, Part II

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »
Oh, well that takes care of that concern, eh?  ;)

u2expert

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »

This is the reason why I think this website / forum is so valuable to U2 music collectors. Just ordered mine!

Cheers,
u2expert

God, Part II

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 12:50:16 PM »
This is the reason why I think this website / forum is so valuable to U2 music collectors.

Agreed!  I know of no other U2 site that comes anywhere even close to filling in collection gaps I wasn't aware of...only thing that's changed lately is that I get more of these collection insights from the forum than the News and Discography sections of the main site, but it sounds like we may be back to firing on all thrusters there soon...

God, Part II

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:22 PM »
I have ordered it from amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Years-Operating-Theatre-Featuring/dp/B0015A8CLI

Well, the bad news, Trevor?  You must have bought (one of) the last copy for sale, because they're now out of stock with no word on restocking (I had to wait until today to order, as it's payday).  The good news?  I found a U.S. online vendor (Weirdo Records) that has it new, sealed, in stock and will be shipping it to me for $18 and change.  Delicious.

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »
Thanks guys.  It's times like these that I love the forums.  I'll add these to the list of things to update on the site.  And I ordered a copy of the CD for myself.  Wicked!  :)

Trevor

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 10:35:15 AM »

Well, the bad news, Trevor?  You must have bought (one of) the last copy for sale, because they're now out of stock with no word on restocking (I had to wait until today to order, as it's payday).  The good news?  I found a U.S. online vendor (Weirdo Records) that has it new, sealed, in stock and will be shipping it to me for $18 and change.  Delicious.

when I placed the order it says, last 2 copies in stock :)
today I received it, the track spring is coming seems to be transfered from vinyl, you can clearly hear it at the start and the end of the track, and there are also some pops here and there... or maybe it's a wanted effect? :)

u2jc

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 03:08:43 PM »
Hey God, Part II, thank you so much for that website. I went ahead and just ordered mine too. Good price for a great find!! On a side note, having this website at my fingertips has been simply wonderful for years now. The information has allowed me to create a monster of a collection. Thanks again God, Part II, and to all of the contributors who maintain this amazing collector's site!!  :) :D ;D

God, Part II

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:53:53 PM »
Hey God, Part II, thank you so much for that website.

No problem!  My philosophy is, as long as I get mine first, I'm happy to share any inside knowledge I might come across!  ;)

Aaron

• Administrator
  • Discographer
    • http://www.u2wanderer.org
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 04:29:21 PM »
FYI - Weirdo Records is sold out of this item now.  Last night they experienced a rash of sales for it.  They aren't sure when they will restock.

Brad

• Administrator
  • Newsie
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 04:42:41 PM »
Um, for what it's worth, I bought the last copy from Amazon UK.  :-X

God, Part II

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 06:06:10 PM »
FYI - Weirdo Records is sold out of this item now.  Last night they experienced a rash of sales for it.  They aren't sure when they will restock.

Still says "in stock" at their website (???)...

Edit: Ah, but now, as of 12/17, "out of stock"...

Edit #2: Well, my copy came in from Weirdo Records today.  This has to be the cheapest, shittiest excuse for packaging I've ever seen (a fold-over insert page with the two discs just loose inside the two page halves) but, otherwise, it's all good...glad to have this...it's got the air of "super rare" about it...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:37:38 PM by God, Part II »