Author Topic: LA 1 Recap (Spoilers)  (Read 3973 times)

Carl

• Administrator
  • Transcriber
    • u2w
LA 1 Recap (Spoilers)
« on: April 06, 2005, 04:50:51 AM »
Pre-show:

Got on the floor.  Long story, will elucidate after sleep. Rocking wit h the green armband.

Main Set:

I won't go over things in as much detail - I missed a lot of little things in last nights entry but figure I won't insert them here as they're the fun little things you want to notice on your own.  After the massive setlist variance between the first four shows, I suppose it makes sense I'd hit two exactly the same.  Over all I thought it a great setlist, and my gripes with it are not as great this time, perhaps it's just being on the floor - elevation may flow a bit better before/after MW but it's nice to pogo at the beginning etc. :)  I'll go over some of the more unique aspects of this show so not to spoil the big picture for those going to other shows.

All in all I had a much clearer view of the screens and better sound, but obviously less involved with the lighting (though some moments the "sun flare" and strobe kind of lighting was much more effective - the stage runners were useless and the over the crowd stuff inneffective.  Spent most of my time looking at the backdrop or screens (before backdrop and stage, small as they were the screens were too low contrast at that distance).  I kind of miss having the big picture of who is where, though I can tell what they're doing in more detail.

Elevation - Floor = pogoing!  Sure I was near the back of the floor, but hey I need all the help w/ acoustics at the Staples Center I can get (prolly around the spot most tapers hang around at).

Electric Co - He actually sang a decent amount of send in the clowns this time.  Kind of cool, makes me think of how they got sued in the past, a sort of carefree "la la la we're doing it live now" thing.

Into the Heart - He pulled a kid up, did asked his name at the end, asked to raise his arms and look up etc (I can see this being one of those "spontaneous moments" at every show like the flag wrapping). Cool thing 1) I was a few people away from the kid's mom in line and he was a really cool boy, I played peek-a-boo once and he burst out laughing etc 2) the confetti spread more than in Anaheim 2, was fluttering above the seats stage right for most of the song.

Stuck - The guitar sound still seems a bit off, but it worked better than last shows, I also noticed something kind of cool with the backdrop.

New Year's Day - Thoroughly enjoyed it this time, damn that solo rocks.

SBS - Bono sings "muslim, jesus, jew" as he points at the religious symbols on his forehead... thing is he has them backwards. Must have memorized the order by looking at it in a mirror or something.

BTBS - Solo was still very original but a bit more akward than anaheim 2s, not as much THTBA/Johnny singing as then as well. The screen had Daniel Pearl's name up during the second part of the song, it must be some anniversary of his capture/killing.

RTSS - Dedicated to DP and men and women that serve in the armed forces, this shows a clearer sympathy (for the fallen in particular) and the geneva convention statements take on a different light.  One of the fascinating things about U2 songs are they are so emotionally heavy yet ambiguous enough to make sense (or be over-analyzed, hehe) in different settings.  Some review called them the "vague majesties of rock."  Noticed something cool on the video screen.

the FLY - Oh my.  This was the ultimate song of the night - it was quite the experience.  Damn.  I noticed a few new slogans on the screen "you / have / the / right / to / remain / silent" followed by "ooh la la" and then repeated to be followed by "ETC."  More were "This is not a rehearsal" and... bleh I forgot.

Mysterious Ways - Bono was wearing a bowler hat and during the solo was holding it out like he was begging.  Really amusing / interesting.

Encores:
I actually really enjoyed Pride live, something that doesn't usually happen.  Bono wasn't very talkative this show, he only talked between songs in the main set before miracle drug and rtss - I think the Africa encore benefited greatly from a more concise delivery.

At the end of the main set or first encore Bono thanked people for all the trouble they went through to get tickets - which REALLY applied this night!

I swear they were gonna do another song before Yahweh - I heard a little shaker/metronome/beat-o-tron going off twice (not something they use, publicly at least, for Yahweh).  If so that would have addressed my strongest sense of the setlist needing adjusting.

[Edited on 2005-4-14 by Carl]